The past few weeks have been a bit hectic and I'm running behind on my "I Run" posts. :) This week will be a 2-for-1 deal.
If you have been following my blog, you know that I've been battling a foot injury the 4-6 weeks and haven't been able to run. Not REAL running anyway. I have been able to run on the anti-gravity treadmill at physical therapy. Last week, I was cleared to begin gradually adding regular treadmill running back into my training. This period of time has been difficult for me - mentally and emotionally. It is extremely frustrating to not get my training runs in, to be forced to incorporate other types of training instead. And then there is the mental challenge of staying positive during injury recovery when it seems to be taking so long, and battling the stress of knowing that time to marathon day is dwindling. All of this brings to mind two of the reasons I run.
I run because I feel happier and better about life, in general, when running is a part of my life/routine. I've noticed this more and more as I've gotten older. Even if I'm only able to get in a few miles, I feel better. This past Friday, I hopped onto the treadmill for my first regular treadmill run on this seemingly long recovery road. I couldn't have been more excited. Normally, I dread running on a treadmill. But on this particular day, it was like a weight had finally been lifted from me. Those around me even noticed the spring in my step. Running is such a blessing in my life.
With my foot recovery going slower than I had hoped, I was not able to run the Chicago Rock 'n Roll half marathon this morning like I had planned. My goal was to finish in an hour and 50 minutes in order to qualify for a start corral for the full marathon in October. Within in the past week and a half, I had to come to accept that I wouldn't be able to run the half. If it were the reason I was training, my ultimate goal, I would have run and I would have run fast enough to finish in the time I wanted. BUT ... the half marathon isn't what I am training for, it was only a step along the way to the full marathon. Sure, it would have felt REALLY good to run that fast since it is over 10 minutes faster than my previous half marathon time. But, I have to be smart & think about the end goal rather than the instant gratification. Those milestones can be met another day. Right now, I have to focus on recovery and preparing for October 10. Which, in a way, is a friendly reminder to count my blessings and not take them for granted. I CAN RUN. I am able to work through this injury; I will recover and complete the marathon. There are so many people who do not have the ability to do what I am doing. I run because I can; I run for all those people who can not and with each new day that I lace up my shoes, I am thankful for this blessing in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment